This Grilled Halloumi, Radish and Watermelon Salad is fresh, light, full of flavour and the perfect salad to go as a side dish or even eaten all on its own….delicious!
So grilled Halloumi would have to be our favourite cheese in our home….Parmesan is a very close second.
Grilled Halloumi has a special quality to it. A little salty, a little chewy and a little crispy!… what is not to love!! 😉 We love our Halloumi sliced thinly and grilled on a pan that is lightly spray with olive oil and a garlic clove rubbed on the pan.
Halloumi goes perfectly in this salad because it blends so well with all the fresh flavours and the crunch of the fresh watermelon and the bite of the radish!
This salad is so fresh, light and tasty. It can be served on its own or as a side dish and it is just a little different to the everyday salad.
There are a few tips to making this salad…. easy tips that just make this salad simply spectacular!!
Tip Number 1
This salad also uses a special ingredient – Sumac
Sumac is a middle eastern spice that has a tangy lemon flavour, even though it is a beautiful red colour!
I sprinkle the sumac over the croutons just before baking them and also over the salad just before serving.
Tip Number 2
To make this salad gluten free I make my own gluten free croutons.
I make gluten free bread in the bread machine and I add herbs and parmesan cheese in the bread dough.
Then cut the bread into cubes and place in a bowl. Then drizzle over some olive oil, thyme and sprinkle over some sumac.
I then roll the bread cubes in the olive oil quickly – not so they get too moist but just enough to cover them and then bake them in the oven till they are golden and crispy. Yes, I leave the crusts on ...I especially love those crunchy edges! 😉
Tip Number 3
Radish is a root vegetable from the cabbage family and it is crisp with a peppery flavour. The ones I have included in the salad have a beautiful red outer and crisp white centre and they are so delicious eaten raw.
Radishes can come in all different colours – white, red, purple or black and can come in different shapes – round, long or cylindrical.
What you need for the Grilled Halloumi, Radish and Watermelon Salad!
The best part about this salad, is that you don’t need to be exact with the quantities. Simply layering the salad ingredients on the plate, so there is a balance and then add the salad dressing.
This way you can just adjust the quantities and make it as large as you need if you need to serve a group …or small enough to just serve one!
- Watermelon – sliced – I use a seedless one
- Radishes – sliced thinly
- 1 large avocado – seeded and sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber – sliced thinly
- Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Halloumi – sliced and grilled (I use a 250g packet of halloumi)
- Croutons – to your liking – I make gluten free croutons from gluten free bread – see the bread recipe here
- Sumac – See information about the Sumac spice – Sumac Spiced Wedges
The Salad Dressing for Grilled Halloumi, Radish and Watermelon Salad!
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar – I use the dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
In a bowl add in the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and honey and whisk together. Keep till one side till you are ready to serve the salad and pour over the dressing. (This way the croutons will stay crisp) and then sprinkle with sumac.
Recipe for Grilled Halloumi, Radish and Watermelon Salad!
- The best part about this salad, is that you don;t need to be exact with the quantities. Simply layering the salad ingredients on the plate, so there is a balance and then add the salad dressing.
- Watermelon - sliced
- Radish - sliced thinly
- 1 large avocado - seeded and sliced
- 1 lebanese cucumber - sliced thinly
- Mint leaves
- Coriander leaves
- Halloumi - sliced and grilled
- Croutons - To your liking - I make gluten free croutons from gluten free bread - see the gluten free bread recipe here
- Sumac - See information about the Sumac spice - Sumac Spiced Wedges
- Salad Dressing
- /2 teaspoon of honey
- tablespoon of balsamic vinegar - I use the dark balsamic vinegar
- tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- tablespoons of olive oil
- In a bowl add in the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil and honey and whisk together. Keep till one side till you are ready to serve the salad and pour over the dressing. (This way the croutons will stay crisp) and then sprinkle with sumac.
This Grilled Halloumi, Radish and Watermelon Salad is delicious, fresh, beautiful and just a little different from your everyday salad!
You might also like…
You can follow along for other great recipes and lots more by following the Sparkles In The Everyday Pinterest Board.