Delicious and easy to make Gluten Free Baked Chicken Tenders...the next best thing to KFC - the gluten-free way!
Being gluten-free can often mean you miss out on some of the everyday types of foods and especially takeaway. We love sushi, Mexican but when we drove past KFC the other day, my teenage sons gave me a dare to try and make a 'gluten-free version' of KFC.
Of course, being the best mum, I rose to the challenge...to be honest, I didn't have any idea of what to cook for tea that night, so I was happy they were suggesting. 😉
After a little experimenting and the best judges (teenage boys) I ...they ...think this is the next best thing to KFC AND it is gluten-free.
You could even add some chili if you wanted to make the spicier version!
How to make Gluten Free Baked Chicken Tenders!
The first step to making this Gluten-Free Baked Chicken Tenders recipe is to simply put all the ingredients into a ziplock bag - I use an Ikea one because they were large enough to fit in the chicken and shake! This way all the chicken is then covered with the flour/spice mixture.
The second step is to make sure you put some cubes of butter onto a large sheet of baking paper on an oven tray. Place the oven tray with the butter in the oven so that the butter melts. Then carefully take out the tray and lay the coated chicken tenders on the tray, sprinkle with some extra black cracked pepper, and place back in the oven to cook.
Tip - Make sure there is enough butter so all the pieces of chicken are resting in the butter, If they are, not all the chicken will soak up the butter and some pieces won't be crispy.
(Suggesting to add lots of butter is not healthy ...I know, I know 🙂 ....but it really makes all the difference to giving the chicken tenders the crispy "KFC" taste.)
Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180° Celsius/ 350° Fahrenheit for 15 mins and then take out the tray and turn the chicken tenders over to bake for 15 mins or until they are cooked through and a slightly golden colour.
You could serve it with chips for a more real takeaway experience...it was definitely a hit with my teenage boys!
It was sooo good the next day too...cold for school lunches (if they last that long!!)
Recipe for Gluten Free Baked Chicken
- 1 cup of gluten free plain flour - I use the Orgran brand
- 3 chicken breasts - cut into strips or chicken tenders
- 60 grams butter - enough when it is melted to cover the base of the tray
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of Season All - seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon of onion salt
- ⅓ teaspoon of cracked pepper (plus extra to sprinkle on top of the coated chicken tenders)
- 2 teaspoon of ground paprika
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius or 350 degrees fahrenheit
- Mix all the dry ingredient into a bowl and then add it to a ziplock bag - I used a Ikea one because they were large enough to fit in the chicken and shake.
- Cut up the chicken breasts into strips and then put them into the ziplock bag and close it up.
- Shake the bag to ensure all the chicken pieces get covered with the flour/spice mixture.
- Place teaspoons of butter on a large sheet of baking paper on an oven tray. Put this in the oven to melt.
- Then open the ziplock bag and lay the covered chicken on top of the melted butter. Keep the chicken pieces separate on the tray.
- Bake for 15 minutes, and then turn over the chicken pieces and bake another 15 minutes. We baked it till it was a little crispy as gluten free flour takes a little bit longer to cook.
- Drain on paper towel before serving.