This Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato soup is delicious, comforting and easy to make and is perfect on those wintery days or when you just ‘need’ a bowl of home-cooked soup!
There is nothing better than a bowl of warm, comforting soup especially this Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato Soup!
Homemade soup has magical powers….it can make a dreary day seem wonderful and a busy day seem relaxing.
In my world, Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato Soup is what I cook on a Sunday morning and while it is cooking, it fills my home with wonderful aromas.
This soup builds anticipation while it is cooking, so when you take that first mouthful…it is just awesome! 😉
There are a couple of tips that make all the difference to taking this soup to average to fabulous…
Tips to making Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato Soup!
Tip Number 1 – Spices
For this Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato Soup make sure you use…..a large sprinkle of nutmeg and a generous dose of cinnamon. It really makes all the difference and gives the soup a deep flavour.
Tip Number 2 – Consistency
Everyone likes their soup with a different consistency – some like it thick so that it chunks of crusty bread can be dragged through the soup and others like it thin, so that it can be served in a mug and drunk.
If you like thick soup, I take the lid off three quarters of the way through cooking, so some of the liquid evaporates but if you like it thin, simply leave the lid on.
Tip Number 3 – Celery?
This is an optional tip… but I often add in the a handful of celery leaves at the beginning of the cooking and the celery leaves cook down and add an extra freshness to the soup.
Tip Number 4 – Gluten Free
If you want your delicious soup to be gluten free, simply use gluten free chicken stock liquid or gluten free chicken stock cubes… easy!
Recipe for Easy Pumpkin, Carrot and Potato Soup!
- ½ large pumpkin - cut into cubes
- 1 onion sliced
- 20g butter
- 6 litres of chicken stock (use a gluten free stock if you want a gluten free soup)
- 2 carrots - diced
- 3 medium potatoes - diced
- a good dose of nutmeg - 1 teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
- freshly cracked black pepper
- salt to taste
- sour cream fresh chives to serve
- In a large saucepan, heat to a medium heat and in the butter and onions
- Fry the onions in the butter until they are soft
- Add in the diced pumpkin, diced carrots and diced potatoes and stir through the butter and onion mixture and cook for a minute or so.
- Add in the chicken stock and bring to the boil
- Add in the nutmeg and cinnamon, salt and pepper
- Stir to combine and add the lid and reduce the heat to simmer
- Simmer for ½ to ¾ an hour or till the vegetables are soft when pressed with a wooden spoon.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup until the vehgeatble pieces are all blended and the soup mixture is thick (or to your liking)
- Serve in a large bowl, top with sour cream and sprinkle with chives. Finish with cracked pepper and salt to your liking.
I always make a large batch and then have plenty for the next day at work.
The following recipe is the perfect amount to serve 4 people and this recipe cooks quickly and make sure you include the little tips to make it delicious!
You might also like another easy recipe, to lift your day and warm your belly…..
Remember to save this recipe to your Pinterest Board for when you need a recipe for a comforting bowl of home-made soup!
You can follow along for other great recipes and lots more by following the Sparkles In The Everyday Pinterest Board.