This Tomato and Lentil Curry Recipe is Gluten-Free and Vegan and is a recipe that you definitely need to try. It uses pantry staples and is full of flavour and is the perfect comforting curry served on rice!
This Tomato and Lentil Curry Recipe is Gluten-Free, Vegan, and is absolutely delicious!
This is a dish that my eldest son just loves to make .... and I just happen to love eating it!
Walking into my home after a long, hard day at work and having the fragrant aroma engulf me... and it is cooked by someone else... well, that is a slice of heaven!
There is something comforting about a curry, especially when it is easy, tasty and you can make a big batch that can be stored in the fridge, frozen... if it ever gets that far!
So.. the following list it the words that are described by my son about this Easy Tomato and Lentil Curry. Yes, simple words that are straight to the point.
- Creamy - without dairy cream
- ... Oh! and ....harms no animals!
Tips for Easy Tomato and Lentil Curry.
Tip Number 1 -
My son says "don't worry if it looks runny, it comes together in the last 5 mins". That is his way of explaining that he did panic and then let out a sigh of relief when it looked thick and delicious.
Tip Number 2
You can use this recipe with dried lentils, simply increase the amount of water to the amount needed for the dried lentils.
Tip Number 3
Another quote from my son... "Make it regularly, to impress your mum!"
Easy Tomato and Lentil Curry - Gluten-Free, Vegan Recipe
Tomato and Lentil Curry Recipe - Gluten-Free, Vegan
- stove top
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 onion - diced
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon of coriander cilantro
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1½ tablespoon of tumeric
- ½ teaspoon of your choice of 'spicy' - chilli or cayenne
- a good pinch of salt
- 2 tins 400g of diced tomatoes
- 2 tins 400mls of coconut milk
- 2 tins 400g of tinned brown lentils
- 1 cups of water
- Cooked rice to serve
- In a saucepan add in the olive oil, diced onion, garlic, coriander and cumin and saute until fragrant and onions are soft.
- Add in the 2 tins of tomato, turmeric, salt, ginger and spices - chilli/cayenne and stir to combine and cook for 2 mins or until bubbling.
- In a strainer, drain and rinse the lentils and add to the tomato mixture, mix and then add in 1 cup of water and stir.
- Bring to the boil and keep stirring to make sure the lentils don't stick to the base of the saucepan.
- Once the water has reduced and it is a thick mixture, add in the coconut milk and stir to combine.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until you have a deliciously thick, creamy curry.
- Serve on top of cooked rice and with naan bread or papadums.
This delicious tomato and lentil curry recipe is full of flavour, easy to make, and is perfect for a comforting, everyday meal... just ask my son!
You might also like...