There is something magical about curries especially this Tomato Chicken Curry Recipe. It is delicious, full of favour and it is not made using a packet or a jar but made from scratch! There is a comforting satisfaction from making a curry – crushing the spices, making the paste and cooking the aromatic curry…and of course eating it! 🙂
I love opening up the jars where I keep my spices such as cumin and coriander seeds, cardamom and turmeric. I love the smell of all the different spices and knowing that a comforting delicious curry is on the way!
I think the best part is that this Tomato Chicken Curry is really easy to make, even though it may look like it uses a few spices. Once you have combined the spices, ginger, garlic and salt together and crush it in a mortar and pestle to make a paste, the rest is easy!
This is also a versatile curry paste as you could use red meat, fish, tofu or even as a vegetarian dish by just substituting the chicken for vegetables. We make it with chicken thighs as the chicken becomes very soft and tender.
This Tomato Chicken Curry is also gluten-free for if you are Coeliac, gluten intolerant, gluten sensitive and it is wheat free.
It is funny that when this Tomato Chicken Curry is bubbling away on the stove top, the rest of my family comes from the far reaches of my home. A great way to get teenage boys to the table!! 🙂
Recipe for Tomato Chicken Curry
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ground chilli
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 gloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 6 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 500g tinned tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons of sugar
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 400g (1 can) light coconut milk
- Using a mortar and pestle, add in the cumin, coriander, cardamom, turmeric, chilli, ginger, garlic, salt, and grind until a paste forms.
- Cut each thigh fillet in ¼ lengths. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the chicken and cook on each side until cooked. Remove the chicken from the pan and keep in a bowl covered with foil.
- Add the spice paste and the onion to the saucepan and cook until aromatic (around 2 mins)
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and stir to combine. Cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
- Add the stock and coconut milk and slowly bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the chicken and cover and cook till the chicken is tender (around 30 mins)
- Then uncover and cook for another 10 mins for the curry to thicken
- Serve with rice and topped with plain yoghurt...enjoy!!
We serve this Tomato Chicken Curry with fluffy basmati rice and top the curry with yoghurt. You can add in as much chilli or as little as you like. When my parents come over I always add less chilli for them (sometimes none) as they are not chilli lovers. The lack of chilli does not change the flavour it just doesn’t have that ‘warm kick’.
You can pin this Tomato Chicken Curry recipe to your Pinterest page, to remind you when you are in the mood for a curry or when you need to impress your friends and family with a curry made from scratch! 😉
Simply hover over an image and the Pinterest sign will come up, so you are able to click on it to save it to your Pinterest board.
You can follow along for other great recipes and lots more by following the Sparkles In The Everyday Pinterest Board.
You might also like….