This Gluten Free Cheesy Chicken Chowder is pure comfort food! It is delicious, filling and warms through to the soul of your body...especially when the weather is cold and dreary!
(...or even when you just need some lovin' ;-) )
I have to admit that winter is not my favourite season...but there are some good points about winter. Yes, keeping cosy by the fire, the delicious comfort foods and cooking large pots of winter warmers....soups, casseroles, slow cookers and cheesy chicken chowder.
In my home, we all love those lazy Sundays when the weather outside is just awful but inside we are all snuggled, cosy and loved. It really helps that on the stove bubbling away is a large pot of this gluten free cheesy chicken chowder... yep, comfort all the way!!!
Recipe for Gluten Free Cheesy Chicken Chowder
- 4 cups of chicken stock (a gluten-free one)
- 3 chicken thighs - diced
- 2 potatoes - diced
- 3 carrots - diced
- 2 stalks of celery- diced
- Handful of sliced fresh green beans
- ¼ onion diced - diced
- 2 tablespoons of sliced leeks
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup of butter - cubed
- ⅓ cup of gluten free flour (I use Orgran Gluten Free Flour) (or you could use gluten free corn flour)
- 2 cups of milk (I use almond milk)
- 2 cups of cheese - I use cheddar
- Parsley to garnish
- Using a large saucepan, add 1 teaspoon of the butter and add the sliced leeks and on a low heat, gradually cook them till they just start to go see through
- Add in the chicken stock, the potatoes, carrots, onion, celery, green beans and salt & pepper
- Bring to the boil for about 10-15 mins until the vegetables are just starting to become soft.
- Add in the diced chicken thighs and boil until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- In another saucepan, melt the remaining butter on a medium heat and then whisk in the flour until smooth (Whisk well to get rid of any lumps) (This makes the roux) and then gradually whisk in the milk and then bring to the boil until it has thickened (about 2 mins or so).
- Add the cheese and take the saucepan off the heat and stir until the cheese has melted and is mixed through.
- Stir the cheese mixture into the chicken and vegetables and cook until it is hot and ready to serve.
Gluten Free Cheesy Chicken Chowder...easy to make and delicious!
You can make this chowder recipe as thick or as thin as you like....you can always add extra chicken stock for a thinner consistency of chicken chowder. In my home we like it thick!!!....and sometimes we add extra cheese (or even pizza cheese to give the chowder extra stretch ;-)).
We also give it a good dose of cracked black pepper to give it a bit of kick. If you like it spicy you could add chilli when cooking the leeks at the beginning.
You can add whatever vegetables you have in your kitchen to give it extra flavour. We like to scoop up our Gluten Free Cheesy Chicken Chowder with crusty gluten free bread (like this Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread )
Yes!!....perfect comfort food ...for a great winter's day or when everyone needs some lovin'.... 😉
You might also like a delicious recipe from a post from the past...