I like to experiment with my baking to find the perfect gluten-free recipes. Sometimes it works and works really well, other times....well, just blah!
I love Passion Fruit because it only takes a small amount to add a tangy, sweet flavour to cakes and basically it smells and tastes gorgeous!
The passion fruit is round to oval, either yellow or dark purple at maturity, with a soft to firm, juicy interior filled with numerous seeds.The fruit is both eaten and juiced; passion fruit juice is often added to other fruit juices to enhance aroma. Source
The recipe for Passion Fruit, Almond and Yoghurt Cake
- 1¼ cups of self raising gluten free flour (I use Orgran Self Raising Gluten Free Flour)
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder - gluten free
- ¾ cup of almond meal
- 150g of Greek natural yoghurt
- 125g of caster sugar
- ½ cup of canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 6 passion fruits - 4 for the cake and 2 for the topping (or you could use 100g of canned Passion Fruit if they are not in season where you live.)
- Preheat oven 180 degrees
- In a bowl mix together the gluten free flour, almond meal and baking powder.
- In another bowl mix together the eggs, oil, yoghurt, sugar and the passionfruit Add the egg mixture to the flour bowl and mix together.
- Pour into a baking tin, lined with baking paper and cook for 45 mins. (I love the way the fruit gives a vibrant yellow colour to the cake and the yoghurt gives a smooth, moist texture.)
I think the best way to eat this cake is not topped with icing but simply topped with Passion Fruit. The Passion Fruit gradually soaks into the cake and adds a little more flavour and tang.
You might like to strain your fruit in a strainer, (if you don't like the seeds) but a few seeds adds a little bit of crunch!
Sounds so good! Thanks so much for linking on Monday! Just shared directly on Twitter. XOXO
This looks really yummy! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much for this fabulously easy cake. I'm not a great baker but this turned out fabulous! I felt like a proper Nigela passing it out at a picnic with friends. Everyone loved it!
That’s great Becky or should I say “Nigela”. So glad it was a hit!! 😀