A delicious savoury slice that is topped with asparagus and filled with mushrooms and bacon. An easy dinner served with a crisp salad, perfect to take cold to picnics or for the lunch box the next day!
This Asparagus, Mushroom and Bacon Slice is my ‘go to’ recipe when I need a quick savoury slice for an easy dinner. It has a great combination of flavours, it is gluten free and it goes perfectly topped with a good quality tomato sauce including this homemade tomato relish!
We really love Asparagus and eat it in lots of different ways including on the BBQ, drizzled with olive oil and salt, we pop them into salads and even roast them in small bundles.
This is a versatile recipe and you can change up the flavour by adding different types of cheeses. Sometimes I use a tasty grated cheese, other times, parmesan cheese, or I even add in chucks of fetta cheese or a full- flavoured onion flavoured cheese.
Tips to cooking with Asparagus
Asparagus is a spring vegetable although you can find them in stores all year round. They are a nutrient-rich vegetable high in vitamin K, folate and a wide a variety of antioxidant nutrients such as vitamin C. Asparagus is a member of the lily family, which includes onions, leeks and garlic.
The tip to this recipe is to store your Asparagus in a large glass jar. This way it will keep your asparagus fresh and stop them from becoming floppy.
Also, make sure you snip off the woody ends of the asparagus with kitchen scissors or a knife, to make sure your asparagus is soft and delicious.
To make the Gluten Free Asparagus, Mushroom and Bacon Slice in 4 easy steps
- To make the Gluten Free Asparagus, Mushroom and Bacon Slice, simply pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees celsius (moderate oven) and grease a long pie dish that has a removable base.
2. In a bowl, add in the diced bacon, sliced mushrooms, cheese, onion and flour and mix and in another bowl add in the 3 eggs and milk and whisk.Then combine the milk mixture to the flour mixture and add in the parsley, cracked pepper and mix.
3. Pour into the pie dish and flatten with the back of a wooden spoon and cut the asparagus the the right length and lay them down on top of the mixture and slightly push them in.
4. Sprinkle with black pepper, paprika and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins until it has set and it is golden. Let it cool in the pan for about 10 mins, before removing and cutting into slices.
Recipe for Gluten Free Asparagus, Mushroom and Bacon Slice
- ¾ cup of gluten free plain flour (I use Orgran Gluten Free Plain Flour)
- ½ onion - diced
- 300g of diced bacon
- 200g of sliced mushrooms
- 12 asparagus
- 1 cup of grated cheese
- ½ cup of milk
- 3 eggs - beaten
- chopped parsley
- cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (moderate oven)
- Grease a long pie dish with a removable base
- In a bowl add in the diced bacon, sliced mushrooms, cheese, onion and flour and mix
- In another bowl add in the 3 eggs and milk and whisk
- Combined the milk mixture to the flour mixture and add in the parsley, cracked pepper and mix
- Pour into the pie dish and flatten with the back of a wooden spoon
- Cut the asparagus the the right length and lay them down on top of the mixture and slightly push them in
- Sprinkle with black pepper, paprika and bake in the oven for 30-35 mins until it has set and it is golden
- Let it cool in the pan for about 10 mins, before removing and cutting into slices
- Enjoy it served with a crisp salad a good quality tomato sauce
This slice is really easy to make, delicious and perfect to make for dinner served with a crisp salad or for lunch for the next day!
Sharing at Dixie Delight
Remember to pin this recipe to your Pinterest board, for when you need to make easy, a quick and delicious savoury slice, then this recipe is easy to find!
Simply hover over an image and the Pinterest sign will come up, so you are able to click on it to save it to your Pinterest board.
You can follow along for other great recipes and lots more by following the Sparkles In The Everyday Pinterest Board.
You might also like …