Traditional Tabouleh is the perfect side dish for serving with fish, having at bbqs, or even having with chicken. It is also a great vegetarian dish and can be eaten on its own.
It is fresh, crisp, light and full of delicious flavour!
But what if you are on a gluten free diet?
Traditional Tabouleh is made using Burghul which is a dried cracked wheat.
So after a little experimenting, I have found a solution, so this delicious salad can be gluten free!
The TIP is to use cauliflower. Yes! cauliflower gives a similar texture to the burghul and it gives the tabouleh that extra taste and flavour.
Simply, cut up cauliflower florets and pulse the cauliflower in a food processor to chop it into fine pieces (like in the picture below). No need to cook it!
…delicious, crisp, full-flavoured gluten free tabouleh!
Another TIP is how to peel and seed the tomatoes.
To do this cut a cross at the base of a tomato and at the other end cut out the core.
Put the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds and then put them into cold water with ice cubes.
Gluten Free Tabouleh Recipe
- 250g cauliflower florets
- 2 large tomatoes-peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large cucumber (or 2 lebanese cucumbers )-diced finely
- 1 red onion - diced finely
- 2 cups of flat leaf parsley and curly leaf parsley-roughly chopped
- 1 cup of mint-finely chopped
- ⅓ cup of fresh lemon juice
- 100ml of olive oil
- cracked black pepper and salt
- Peel and seed the tomatoes. To do this cut a cross at the base of a tomato and at the other end cut out the core. Put the tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds and then put them into cold water with ice cubes. take them out of the iced water and peel the skins off and take out the seeds. The diced finely)
- Using a processor, chop the cauliflower, (till it resembles the texture of burghul)
- Then mix the cauliflower, tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, parsley, mint in a large bowl
- In a separate bowl add the lemon juice, oil, cracked pepper and salt. Using a fork, whisk the oil mixture.
- Pour the lemon oil mixture over the salad and mix through.
- Serve and enjoy with fish, BBQs, chicken etc...or even just enjoy it on its own...very tasty and healthy!
This is always popular at BBQs, even for people who aren’t gluten free!
You can save this Gluten Free Tabouleh recipe to your Pinterest page, to remind you when you need a a fresh side for your meal!
You can follow along for other great recipes and lots more by following the Sparkles In The Everyday Pinterest Board.
You might also like….