This recipe for Curried Mince Chicken with Rice is easy to make, healthy, filling, gluten-free and you can use whatever vegetables you have on hand.
So this is an easy, delicious and filling 'everyday meal'. Nothing too fancy but perfect for when you want a home-cooked meal and .... you are really hungry and you don't want take-away!
In my home, we love this meal because it is just that... healthy, filling and delicious!
The curry powder, soy sauce and chicken stock blends together to make a wonderful flavour...rather than just boring minced chicken.
Sometimes, I can be one of those people that can sometimes get caught in a rut and due to time, cook the same things for dinner because they are easy and taste good! (...and for me, I don't need to think too hard after a busy day at work...Oh! and everyone in my home is starving!!)
Now you can use fresh vegetables but if you are pushed for time, you can use frozen vegetables. They just don't need to be cooked as long as fresh vegetables. I simply add the frozen broccoli and peas when the meal is simmering.
Tip - I think it is important to remember to use the minced ginger and garlic...it really adds depth and flavour to the meal... (and smells fantastic when it is cooking!)
Recipe for Curried Minced Chicken and Rice
- 500 g chicken mince
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ onion- diced
- ½ teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced ginger
- 2 carrots - diced
- ½ capsicum-sliced/diced
- A handful of fresh green beans- chopped roughly
- A handful of snow peas - chopped or sliced
- ½ cup of zucchini - diced
- 1 cup of frozen broccoli and/or sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- ¼ cup of soy sauce - gluten free
- 2 tablespoons of mild curry powder (gluten free one)
- 2 cups of chicken stock - gluten free
- Top with dried shallots
- Served with basmati rice (I cook mine in a rice cooker with chicken stock instead of water)
- In an electric frypan, add the oil, garlic, ginger and onions and cook until onion is soft
- Add in the vegetables such as the carrots, capsicum, green beans, snow peas (not frozen broccoli or mushrooms yet)
- Cook vegetables for 5 mins
- Add in the chicken mince and curry powder and stir (using a wooden spoon break the chicken mince into small pieces) and cook until the chicken is no longer pink
- Add in the soy sauce and stir and then add in the chicken stock.
- Now add in the frozen broccoli and simmer until vegetables are to your likings
- Just before the liquid has been absorbed, sprinkle over the frozen peas. Simmer until the stock has absorbed.
- Serve with chicken rice and top with dried shallots!!
For the rice, I cook mine in a rice cooker with chicken stock instead of water...it adds some extra flavour to the rice!
I also cook the basmati rice in the rice cooker for 4 people, just when I start to prepare and cook the meal. By luck (good timing) it finishes just when I am ready to serve it...(bonus!)
This dish is delicious topped with dried shallots for a little crunch and a little extra flavour!
You might also like...