Gluten Free Cinnamon and Honey Swirl Muffins...delicious, full of flavour and easy to make...perfect!
For a long time I have always drooled over those little cinnamon buns in baker's shops that are drizzled with icing and smell heavenly!
The only problem is that those cinnamon buns are made using wheat flour... 🙁
Now I have tried to create a gluten free version and yes, they do taste good BUT.... these Gluten Free Cinnamon and Honey Muffins are even better!!
I have to be honest and say I really only succeeded with designing this recipe by making a mistake!
Yes, I made a mistake and it actually worked out in my favour.
What is that saying ?....you learn when you make mistakes...or is it, learning only happens when you make mistakes... (ummm, can't remember ....but you get the picture).
My big mistake when making this recipe....was using cold butter from the fridge.
I realised as soon as I tried to cream the butter, sugar and then add the eggs, that it just looked too lumpy. If you are a professional cook don't roll your eyes at me just yet ...please).
Well, I persisted and accepted that these wouldn't turn out and I would need to make another batch...I was wrong!...they turned out and they turned out amazingly!
They were delicious and I think that the little cold pieces of butter is what made these muffins so creamy and delicious.
and the addition of the coconut flour which gave the muffins the crunchy edges - just like those cinnamon swirls at the bakery!
The best part was that they were fluffy and with swirls of cinnamon and honey mixed through each muffin....they were perfect!
Now most people don't share their mistakes...right? But I am really happy to share this one.
Sometimes just when you thought you might be wrong, you turn out to be very right!!
Recipe for Cinnamon and Honey Swirl Muffins - Gluten Free
Makes 12 muffins
- 150g of butter cubed - ( you can either use butter at room temperature or follow my mistake ( umm variation) and use butter from the fridge.
- ¾ cup of caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 2 cups of gluten free self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon of gluten free baking powder
- 1 ⅓ cups of milk - I use almond milk
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of milk
How to make Gluten Free Cinnamon and Honey Muffins
- Preheat oven to a moderate, 180º Celsius.
- Place muffin liners into a muffin tin pan, (makes 12 muffins)
- In a electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, and mix until fluffy.
- Add in the coconut flour and mix.
- Add in the ½ of the self-raising gluten free flour and the gluten free baking power and ½ of the milk and mix to combine.
- Then add in the remainder of the flour and milk and mix to combine.
- Spoon into patty pans so it fills only ½ way of the muffin liner. Leave some of the mixture to fill on top later)
- Combine the honey and cinnamon together in another bowl (a microwave bowl) and mix, then place in the microwave and heat for about 10 seconds- so the honey mixture becomes runny.
- Drizzle over the mixture in the muffins pans (leave ⅓ of the honey and cinnamon mixture to drizzle on the top later) and swirl through the mixture with a toothpick - I used a chop stick!
- Then spoon in the remainder of the mixture so it fills about ¾ of the way in the muffin liners.
- Drizzle some of the honey and cinnamon mixture over the top of the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for 18- 20mins...and test them with a toothpick in the middle of the muffin to see if they are cooked- the toothpick should come out clean
- Let them cool. (or if you are like us...we eat them warm!)
- Mix the icing sugar and milk in another bowl, until smooth and then drizzle over the top of the cinnamon muffins. ....this really does add to them !
One little mistake.....one grand muffin!!
...equals delicious Gluten Free Cinnamon and Honey Swirl Muffins 😉
Just yum !
You might also like ...