This Spring Chicken and Caramelised Leek Soup is so full of flavour, it is healthy and it is the perfect soup for when the weather starts to change. Spring Chicken and Caramelised Soup is full of vegetables and rice noodles and has the smooth, deep flavour of caramelised leeks.…and it is gluten-free!!
There is nothing better than when you have had a busy day and the weather has been cold and wet, than to snuggle up with a delicious bowl of warm soup. For my family right now we are in the middle of cold weather and cooking soups and keeping cosy with a great movie is our way of getting through the chill.
But…I can see that the weather is trying to change. I am starting to see blossoms on the almond trees, hear birds singing in the morning and the light is lasting longer in the day. Now these little signs give me the desire to get through the cold weather and look forward to spring.
TIP – The tip to making this soup full of flavour is to make sure you take the time to really caramelise the leeks. The best way to do that is to add the garlic, oil and the leeks in the sauce pan and on a low heat let them cook slowly to bring out the flavours till they turn golden. Make sure you stir the leeks so they don’t burn.
The other great tip about this recipe is that I use cooked BBQ chicken, (especially when I don’t have much time). I pick up a cooked BBQ chicken (gluten free one) on the way home, chop it and then simply add it to the soup. (All mums and dads need a recipe like this…tastes impressive but you know it really wasn’t that hard :-))
Spring Chicken and Caramelised Leek Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large leeks sliced
- cracked black pepper and salt
- 6 cups of chicken stock (gluten free)
- ½ teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 zucchini chopped
- ½ cup of chopped celery
- 3 spring onions - sliced
- 2 cups of cooked chopped chicken
- 250g of rice noodles
- In a large saucepan add in the olive oil, minced garlic and sliced leeks and cook on a low heat for about 8-10 mins until they are golden and caramelised. While they are cooking add in cracked pepper and salt. Tip- Stir the leeks so that they don't burn. (This is the step that really adds the flavour to the soup)
- Add in the chicken stock, zucchini, celery, 2 of the sliced spring onions and boil on a moderate heat until the zucchinis are tender.
- Add in the chopped cooked chicken and boil for another 2 minutes
- Add in the rice noodles and reduce the heat to low and simmer for 2 mins until the noodles are soft,
- Sprinkle through the remaining spring onions and serve ...and enjoy!!
…so warm, tasty and delicious!
You might also like ….
this Tasty Thai Chicken Soup
or to see some other delicious soup recipes – visit the Soups Page ‘here’.