How to make delicious and easy Homemade Basil and Cashew Pesto Pasta!
This is a delicious, quick and easy dish for weekdays, when time is short and everyone in the family is hungry!
The best part is that on the weekends I make up fresh homemade Basil and Cashew Pesto and then during the week all I need to do is boil the pasta and then spoon through the Basil and Cashew Pesto, top it with parmesan and serve!...easy and delicious!!
When the basil in my garden is just about to turn to seed and there is plenty of basil, I make up batches of this homemade Basil and Cashew Pesto.
There is, of course, a couple of tips that gives this Pesto lots of flavour!
The Tips to Making Basil and Cashew Pesto!
These tips include adding a few extra ingredients to really bring out the fresh flavour.
- The first tip is to add pine nuts and cashews to a frypan and lightly toasting them, to bring out the oils in the nuts and it adds a delicious full-bodied flavour.
- The second tip is to add in fresh parsley and a hint of thyme...you wouldn't think it makes a difference but it does.
- The third tip is to make sure you add garlic, salt and pepper and a good quality parmesan.
Sometimes when I blend the pesto in the processor/blender, I change up how coarse it is. The one above is quite smooth and I do that by firstly pulsing the pine nuts and cashews, so they have an opportunity of being chopped up well and then adding the other ingredients.
Other times I make it chunky and do this by simply placing all the ingredients in the processor, at the same time and don't leave it mixing as long.
Recipe for Homemade Basil and Cashew Pesto Pasta!
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon of minced garlic
- ¼ cup of pine nuts and cashews
- ¼ cup of parmesan cheese
- salt and black cracked pepper
- ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the basil and dry in the leaves in paper towel
- In a frypan, lightly toast the pine nuts and cashews (no need to add oil to the pan, but do watch them as they toast quickly),
- Add the pine nuts and cashews to the blender and put on the lid and pulse till the nuts are finely chopped (not too fine),
- Add in the basil, parsley, thyme, parmesan, minced garlic, salt and pepper and mix till it start to come together,
- While the blender is still going, slowly add the olive oil through the tube on the top of the mixer. Stop when it has all come together,
- Boil the pasta and then spoon through the delicious fresh pesto, top with parmesan and enjoy!!
- I usually make two batches and store the other in a clean airtight jar with a lid in the fridge. I add a little amount of olive oil on the top to stop it from drying out. Stir well before using the Pesto.
Easy, fresh and soooo delicious!!
You might also like ....