We are not big lovers of broths or thin soup...('they just aren't filling enough' - quote from my family)
Recipe for Broccoli and Zucchini Soup
- 20g of butter
- Half a large Leek (about ¼ cup sliced)- or more if you prefer
- ½ teaspoon of minced garlic
- 2 large Zucchinis - diced
- 1 cup of broccoli
- 1 stalk of celery - sliced (don't forget this one 😉
- 1 litre of Chicken Stock
- 2 Potatoes - diced
- Cracked pepper - a good sprinkling
- ¼ cup of thickened cream
- In a large saucepan add the butter, garlic and sliced leeks. Let them cook until they just start to turn golden
- Add the broccoli, zucchini, potatoes, celery and stir to coat in the flavour leek butter. and cook for a couple of minutes
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the pepper and stir
- Bring the soup to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 30 mins or until the pieces of vegetables are soft and can break apart with a spoon
- Mash with a potato masher, to make all the vegetables smaller.
- When it looks like all the vegetables are tender and soft, take off the heat and blend with a stick mixer.
- You can add the cream to the pot of soup just before serving and stir through or each person can add their own cream to their bowl.