All the tips and the recipe for Crispy Hasselback Potatoes with Caramelised Onion! So delicious with a soft, fluffy potato centre, crispy on the outside and a caramelised red onion stuffing!
Crispy Stuffed Potatoes are perhaps the King and Queen of the Potato world. I am always amazed at how the humble spud can be transformed into something glorious!
These Crispy Hasselback Potatoes with Caramelised Onion stuffing are extra special. You will no longer look at the boring potato the same way.
They are ideal as a side with your main meal, or even eaten hot from the oven all on their own, with a good dollop of sour cream!
What really makes these potatoes into royalty.... is the caramelised red onion stuffing!
but of course there are a few simple tips to making these delightful and flavourful potatoes....
Tip Number 1 - Slicing the Hasselback Potato
Carefully slice a thin layer from the bottom of the potato so the potato doesn't roll around. Then place a Potato on a chopping board and lat two chopsticks along each side. The chopsticks will stop you slicing all the way through the potato. Then slice the potato thinly.
Tip Number 2 - Using Rock Salt for Hasselback Potatoes
When baking the potatoes, sprinkle rock salt on the lined oven tray. This will help the potato go fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside!
Tip Number 3 - Caramelised Red Onions
To make the delicious caramelised onion, slice 3 red onions thinly and then heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the onions and slowly cook until soft. Then stir in 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gluten free) and 2 teaspoons of caster sugar. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are caramelised and then stir through some fresh thyme.
Recipe for Crispy Hasselback Potatoes with Caramelised Onion!
- 6 potatoes
- 3 red onions
- 1 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and some spray olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of caster sugar
- Rock salt
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- Black cracked pepper
- To serve - sour cream
- Need - Chopsticks
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC or 350ºF
- Placed a washed potato on the chopping board and place the chop stick on either side. Thinly slice the potato making sure not to slice all the way through. Do this to all of the potatoes.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and sprinkle with a good dose of rock salt. Place the potatoes on the tray and sprinkle with chopped rosemary.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until they are tender.
- While the potatoes are baking in the oven prepare the caramelised onion stuffing. Slice 3 red onions thinly and then heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a small saucepan. Add the onions and slowly cook until soft. Then stir in 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar (gluten free) and 2 teaspoons of caster sugar. Cook for 5 minutes until the onions are caramelised and stir through some fresh thyme.
- Carefully take out the tray of potatoes and press the caramelised onion mixture into the slices of the potato. Spray the potatoes with spray olive oil and bake until golden and crispy (about another 15 minutes)
- Top with sour cream and top with some fresh chopped thyme and some black cracked pepper.
You might also like...
Old Fashioned Tomato Relish (GF)
Selena, The Rambler
I loveeeeed the tips on making this! Genius with the chopsticks!!! LOVE. #TurnItUpTuesdays
Lindsay @ The DIY Mommy
Never thought of using chopsticks. These look so yummy and are so perfect for entertaining!!