Starting off the day with a healthy breakfast can make such a difference to how your day goes. This healthy breakfast – Smashed Avocado and Tomato is easy to make, fresh and full of flavour and is a healthy start to the day!
In Australia ‘smashed avocado’ is all the rage!
In restaurants this dish often sells for a high price. You see this recipe on chalkboards in every cafe, restaurant and deli. It maybe because it is ‘the in thing’ but I think its popularity is because it is healthy and tastes delicious….no, ‘scrumptious’ is a much better description!
So making this at home can save not only a lot of money but it also means that you can have it more often.
Of course there are a lot of variations to ‘smashed avocado on toast’. It can be topped with goats cheese, oven-baked tomatoes, drizzled with olive oil, topped with a poached egg and even with ‘vegemite’ spread on the toast …and the list goes on.
My favourite is smashed avocado with freshly sliced tomato, shredded basil leaves and drizzled with balsamic vinegar. The best part is when it is made on gluten free toast is perfect for people on a gluten free diet or avoiding wheat products.
How to make a Healthy Breakfast – Smashed Avocado and Tomato.
Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the avocado and remove the seed. Using a fork ‘ smash’ the avocado in a bowl and add in some salt and freshly squeezed lemon.
Tip – Squeezing lemon juice over the avocado will stop the avocado from going brown and adds a little extra tang!
Using the bread of your liking , toast it until it is crispy – I don’t butter the toast as avocado is a healthy and nutritious fat.
Spoon onto the toast and top with sliced fresh tomatoes, topped with freshly cracked pepper, add shredded basil leaves and then drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Some times I soak my sliced tomatoes in the balsamic vinegar for a few minutes, to give that extra balsamic flavour and tang!
Recipe for Healthy Breakfast – Smashed Avocado and Tomato!
- 1 large avocado
- a good squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tomato - sliced
- 2 basil leaves - shredded
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
- freshly cracked pepper
- salt - to your liking
- 4 slices of toasted bread - your choice of bread
- Using a spoon, scoop out the flesh of the avocado and remove the seed. Using a fork ' smash' the avocado in a bowl and add in some salt and freshly squeezed lemon. This stops the avocado from going brown and adds a little extra tang.
- Using the bread of your liking , toast it until it is crispy - I don't butter the toast as avocado is a healthy and nutritious fat.
- I use Gluten Free Bread made in the Bread Machine - find the recipe here! You can use whatever bread to your liking - sour dough, seeded bread, english muffins etc
- Spoon onto the toast and top with sliced fresh tomatoes, topped with freshly cracked pepper, add shredded basil leaves and then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
The best part to this delicious dish is that it doesn’t just have to be eaten for breakfast… this can be a snack on a Sunday afternoon or if you are like me…it can even be a dinner!
You might also like…..